Saturday 27 March 2010

What's in a name?

Here in Cumbria it's sort of traditional to name at least one of your beers after the local landscape (I love Hesket Newmarket for having the courage to name a beer after Great Cockup! For us that would have been a little too close to the truth, especially in the early days).


In fact I'm sure there are several fells which are the subject of hot disputes between neighbouring breweries, and I have a mental image of shive hammers at dawn as at least one local hotspot is equidistant from ourselves, Hardknott, Blackbeck, Gable and Loweswater.


BUT..... how many breweries have had a chunk of the Lake District named after one of their beers????


We were delighted to learn that the Fell & Rock Climbing Club of the Lake District have named a pitch 'Ennerdale Blonde' after our best seller. They say "The inspiration for the route came from our need to keep returning to this area to drink your excellent beer". I'm totally gobsmacked, but I can confirm right now that I will NOT be making this ascent to be photographed with a pint of Blonde in my hand, and anyone who knows me can probably understand why. However we are looking at a way of comemorating this unique honour and saying 'thank you' to the cragrats, so watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment